COLOURFULWORLD

Thursday 29 September 2011

50th Post and my first batch of Laundry Liquid

Two milestones to commemorate today!
The first being the fact that it´s my 50th post, since I started blogging 3 months ago. Not bad I think, I never thought I would get to this stage this quick.

The second one is the fact that I have officially become "green". Although I have for some time just used the "Earth" range of cleaning products, I had never attempted to make my own cleaning agents.

Thanks to Rhonda who has lots of home made Green cleaning recipes, I decided to try my hand at making my own Laundry Liquid..
I bought all ingredients on Wednesday when I went shopping, and bought a copy of the  "Women´s Weekly", which is actually the most loved Australian monthly (not weekly) magazine, and to my surprise there was an article about Rhonda and how to have a simple life and the laundry liquid recipe was in the magazine too.


The ingredients used
So here it is in case you would like to try it.
It´s simple to make, takes about 30 minutes and the ingredients are available in the supermarket.

Laundry Liquid
Ingredients:
1 1/2 lt water
1 bar of laundry soap, grated on a cheese grater or 1 cup Lux flakes
1/2 cup washing soda (not baking soda or bicarb soda)
1/2 cup borax

Tools:
10 litre bucket
Wooden spoon for mixing
Bottles to store the mixture

1 - In a medium saucepan add water and soap. Stir over medium heat until soap is dissolved. Add washing soda and borax and stir until thickened and remove from heat.


2 - Pour mixture into a 10 litre bucket then fill the bucket with water from the tap. Stir to combine the ingredients. The laundry liquid will thicken as it cools.


3 - Store in clean plastic or glass bottles, but do not fill to the top - mixture needs to be shaken before each use.


4 - Use 1/4 cup or 1 laundry scoop of mixture per load or monitor to see what works for you.
It´s suitable for top and front loading machines. This liquid will not make suds.
Cost: $4,50 for 10lt.


Boiling away
                                                                                 
The 10 litre bucket



The finished product



If you use fabric softener, you can replace that with 1/2 cup white vinegar in the final rinse.                                                    


Good luck to you all, I hope you try it, as we should all be doing something to help our planet as well as benefiting our wallets.
I cannot wait to try my new liquid on my next washing day.




8 comments:

  1. Wow- what an endeavor! I applaud your initiative. I'll have to see if the ingredients are in Pink N. Pay. Not sure I've seen borax...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on post number 50 ! And being so handy with home made washing liquid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your 50th post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sami, I have made the laundry liquid twice now and love it!I too bought the ingredients for soap on my wendnesday shop I am hoping to make some to put with christmas gifts. Congrats on post number 50 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sami, big congratulations on your 50th post! I think you've done very well to get there so quickly (and with many beautiful posts). Good on you!

    That's also great to make your own laundry liquid. I do the vinegar for fabric softener (it's also good for the machine, I'm told!) but still buy washing powder ... maybe one day I will get organised, it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog and reading my 50th post.
    Hi Lovely Light, you might find borax at a hardware store if they don´t have it at Pick N Pay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhhhhhh - I don't think I'll be trying that - I just do not have the time - but I am sure some other people might!

    I do try to buy "green"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It only takes half an hour to make Robyn. Although if you buy "green" it´s already good.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.